For this post, I have put together a collection of the best baby thermometers currently available. Browse my guides to the best newborn baby essentials.
Our Top Picks
- Best Overall: Braun Healthcare ThermoScan 7 Ear Thermometer with Age Precision
- Best Budget Buy: TPZ No Touch Infrared Forehead Thermometer
- Best With Age Precision: Braun Age Precision Digital Stick
- Best Contactless: Braun No Touch Plus Forehead Digital Thermometer
- Best 4 In 1: Nuk 4 in 1 Thermometer
- Best In-Ear: Tommee Tippee Digital Ear Thermometer
- Best With Fever Alarm: Beurer FT90 Contactless Clinical Thermometer
- Best Multi-Feature: Vital Baby Protect 4 in 1 Thermometer
Having spent a lot of time nursing my little ones when they were poorly, I know how essential it is to have a reliable and accurate thermometer, which takes your baby’s temperature quickly and easily, without causing them any distress.
From in-ear to contactless thermometers there are lots to choose from so I’ve selected the best ones, to make your decision easier.
Not sure how to take your baby’s temperature? See this excellent guide from The NHS.
How We Selected
We’ve hand-picked the best thermometers on the market, focusing on those which are particularly good for babies.
All of our selected products have 4-5/5 star ratings and excellent buyers reviews.
So here is my list of the best baby thermometers.
Braun Healthcare ThermoScan 7 Ear Thermometer with Age Precision
- The market leader and parents favourite, this award-winning thermometer has a pre-warmed tip for accuracy, a nightlight so that you can easily read your baby’s temperature in the dark and age-adjustable fever setting, which helps to guide you.
- It also has a memory that stores the last 9 temperature readings taken, which is handy if you want to relay the information to a doctor or nurse.
- Suitable from birth.
- Pros: Pre-warmed tip, backlit display, age adjustable, comes with disposable hygiene caps, highly accurate.
- Cons: Beeps could disturb a sleeping baby or child.
- Consumer Score: Buyers love this baby thermometer with 86% of buyers giving it 5 stars out of 5.
TPZ No Touch Infrared Forehead Thermometer
- This infrared forehead thermometer takes a baby’s temperature quickly and easily without having to touch them.
- It has a handy red light indicator to show if there is a fever.
- It stores 50 readings which allows you to trace your temperature easily.
- Pros: Non-invasive, stores multiple readings, red light indicator.
- Cons: The gap between the thermometer and the forehead must be 3-5 cm for an accurate reading so you need to make sure you hold it at the correct distance, more bulky than some.
- Consumer Score: Buyers really like this baby thermometer with 72% of buyers giving it 5 stars out of 5.
Braun Age Precision Digital Stick
- This digital stick thermometer from the market leader Braun, reads your temperature within 8 seconds and has a button you press to adjust to child’s age.
- The colour coded display will let you know if your child has a fever.
- The flexible stem makes the thermometer more comfortable than the old rigid options.
- Pros: Affordable, for underarm, oral or rectal, age adjust, colour indicator for fever, remembers previous reading, flexible tip and coloured backlit display.
- Cons: You need to clean the thermometer after use.
- Consumer Score: Buyers love this baby thermometer with 76% of buyers giving it 5 stars out of 5.
Braun No Touch Plus Forehead Digital Thermometer
- A contactless infrared thermometer which can read your child’s temperature from up to 5cm away from forehead.
- Simple to use as it has a proximity sensor to let you know when you have it at the right distance to use.
- Pros: Non-invasive, proximity sensor, beep and backlit screen make it easy to use, the screen changes colour if there is a slight temperature or fever, sound can be turned off, you can also measure temperature of baths and food.
- Cons: Doesn’t show previous temperature readings.
- Consumer Score: Buyers like this baby thermometer with 78% of buyers giving it 4-5 stars out of 5.
Nuk 4 in 1 Thermometer
- This 4 in 1 thermometer has its own stand and measures temperature either in-ear (probe small enough for newborns) or at temple.
- It can also measure room temperature and surface temperature of liquids so you could use it to measure heat of bath or baby’s milk.
- It has a built-in rechargeable battery for convenience.
- Memory function allows you to monitor the progress of the temperature.
- Pros: Versatile thermometer which can be used to read different types of temperatures, fever colour indicator, good memory function.
- Cons: Quite pricey.
- Consumer Score: Buyers like this baby thermometer with 62% of buyers giving it 4-5 stars out of 5.
Tommee Tippee Digital Ear Thermometer
- This in-ear thermometer is suitable for all ages due to the small probe.
- It stores up to nine readings so you can keep track of your baby’s temperature.
- The thermometer will sound if there is a fever.
- It comes with tip hygiene covers included.
- Pros: Accurate in-ear thermometer which is easy to use, small probe makes it suitable from birth, memory function.
- Cons: Not age adjustable, quite pricey.
- Consumer Score: Buyers really like this baby thermometer with 79% of buyers giving it 4-5 stars out of 5.
Beurer FT90 Contactless Clinical Thermometer
- A slimline contactless infrared clinical thermometer which can measure the temperature of your baby without touching them which is handy, especially if they are sleeping and you don’t want to disturb them.
- Can also be used to measure room temperature and surface temperature of liquids.
- Pros: Also suitable for object and room temperature measurements, temperature can be displayed in °C and °F, automatic switch-off and battery change indicator, 60 integrated memory locations, fever alarm.
- Cons: Need to make sure you hold at correct distance to measure temperature accurately.
- Consumer Score: Buyers love this baby thermometer with 79% of buyers giving it 4-5 stars out of 5.
Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- This 4 in 1 contactless thermometer is really versatile and can be used to measure temperature in-ear or contactless.
- It is also capable of measuring room temperature and liquid temperature so you can check your baby’s milk.
- Reliable fever alert will change the colour shown on the screen to alert you quickly.
- Pros: Multi-use, fever alert, fast 2 second readings, can measure temperature in-ear or contactless.
- Consumer Score: Buyers like this baby thermometer with 100% of buyers giving it 5 stars out of 5.
- Available to buy from Superdrug.
Baby Thermometer Sale & Today’s Bestsellers
What To Consider When Buying A Baby Thermometer
Type Of Baby Thermometer
Most doctors and nurses use an in-ear digital thermometer to read babies temperatures.
This is because it gives an accurate reading and it it quick and easy to do.
This has always been my preferred option because of the accuracy.
Alternatively contactless (or infrared) forehead thermometers are a good option for babies as you can take their temperature without touching them so won’t have to disturb them if they are sleeping.
You do have to make sure you are using the thermometer at the correct distance for an accurate reading though.
Lastly, a digital stick thermometer which can read temperature from under the armpit or orally can be an affordable option.
Reading a baby’s temperature from under their armpit, especially when they are very young is recommended by the NHS.
Baby Thermometers FAQs
A normal temperature in babies and children is about 36.4C, but this can vary slightly.
A high temperature or fever is usually considered to be a temperature of 38C or above. Source: NHS.
Yes, these can be good for reading newborn babies temperatures as they are contactless and non-invasive.
From 6 months old an in-ear temperature is the best option.
If you think I left any out that should be included or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Baby Products – Buyer Guides
Sleeping & Nursery
- Moses Basket
- Baby Blanket
- Nursery Curtains
- White Noise Machine
- Baby Sleeping Bag
- Cots & Cot Beds
- Bedside Cribs
- Cot Mobile
- Baby Monitor
- Baby Sleepsuit
- Nursery Furniture Sets
- Pregnancy Pillow
- Baby Nest
- Baby Comforters
- Baby Humidifier
- Baby Highchair
- Nursing Bras
- Sleep Bras
- Bottle Warmer
- Baby Bottle
- Baby Bibs
- Nipple Cream
- Breast Pumps
- Nursing chair
- Baby Formula UK
- Baby Food Blender
- Bamboo Plates For Kids
Toiletries & Nappy Changing
- Baby Bath Tubs and Bath Seats
- Baby Bath Towels
- Baby scales
- Baby bath toys
- Baby Changing Mat
- Travel Potty
- Baby Sun Cream
- Nappy Bin
- Biodegradable Nappies
- Baby Wipes
- Baby snowsuit
- Baby dressing gown
- Baby sun hats
- Baby laundry basket
- Baby wellies
- Baby swimsuit
- Baby booties
- Baby shoes
- Babies leggings
- Travel stroller
- Baby car mirror
- Baby travel cots
- Double Buggies
- Buggy Boards
- Baby Carrier
- Baby Sling
- Changing Bag
- Baby Carrier
- Best Baby Travel Gear
- Baby reins
- Travel Cot Mattress
- Travel highchair
- Pram Accessories
- Pram Bag
- Pram Toys
- Car Sun Shade
- Baby playpen
- Baby wetsuits
- Baby Walker
- Wooden Baby Toys
- Baby Activity Table
- Swim nappies
- Baby Play Mat
- Baby Sensory Toys
- Baby Ball Pit
- Baby Toys