For this post, I have put together a collection of the best thermal leggings currently available. See all my top picks for the best leggings.
Our Top Picks
- Best Overall CRZ Yoga fleece lined leggings
- Best For Running/Cycling thermal leggings from Baleaf
- Best For Men Under Armour HeatGear 2.0
- Best Budget Buy Campri Ladies Stretchy Base Layer Thermal Pants
Thermal leggings are the ideal choice of bottoms for heading outdoors in when it’s cold.
They’re made of material that traps heat and therefore keep your legs warm.
How We Selected
Choosing the best thermal leggings, I looked for both fleece lined and cotton-polyester blend that is both moisture-wicking and breathable.
They are ideal for going for a run on a chilly morning or perfect for walks or hikes.
Thermal base layer leggings can be worn beneath your top layers of clothing to keep your body warm, especially during freezing winter temperatures.
Made from fabrics such as merino wool, to protect against the cold, thermal base layer leggings also trap body heat to provide warmth.
Looking for the best thermal leggings for both women and men, plus the best selection of thermal base layer leggings for wearing underneath clothing, I’ve selected items which have excellent buyers feedback and 4-5/5 star ratings.
Let’s get started!
Best Thermal Leggings For Women
Duofold Women’s Heavy-Weight Double-Layer Thermal Leggings
- Double-layer black thermal leggings with drawcord at waist for adjustable fit.
- These heavy-weight leggings will keep legs warm in cold conditions.
- Available in sizes S/M/L/XL.
- Pros: Heavy weight and double layered to trap heat.
- Cons: Not available in any other colours.
- Consumer Score: Buyers really like these thermal leggings with 80% giving them 4-5 stars out of 5.
CRZ YOGA Women’s Thermal Fleece Lined Leggings High Waisted Winter Yoga Pants with Pockets
- Fleece lined leggings made for working out.
- High Waisted Winter Yoga Pants with Pockets
- Made from stretchy, non-see-through polyester-spandex blend with two side pockets to hold your phone and keys.
- The waistband has an inner adjustable drawstring for a customised fit.
- With moisture-wicking and interlocking seams that prevent chafing.
- Available in sizes 6-16.
- Available in a range of colours.
- Pros: Pockets, suitable for exercise, moisture wicking, various colours to choose from.
- Cons: Price could be a little less.
- Consumer Score: Buyers recommend these thermal leggings with 77% giving them 5 stars out of 5.
BALEAF Women’s Thermal Fleece Running / Cycling Tights
- Athletic Compression Trousers also good for Hiking/Bike
- Made with lightweight and breathable material the quick-dry construction wicks moisture to keep you drier whilst exercising.
- Soft fleece inside provides long lasting warmth and comfort.
- Back pocket with zipper securely stores your small items like keys.
- Leg zippers for easy off and on wear.
- Available in sizes XS/S/M/L/XL.
- Pros: Moisture wicking, fleece lined, pocket.
- Cons: The coloured trim may put some buyers off.
- Consumer Score: These thermal leggings are popular with 70% of buyers giving them 5 stars out of 5.
Best Thermal Leggings For Men
Under Armour HeatGear 2.0 – Gym Leggings for Men
- Ultra-lightweight men’s leggings.
- The compression fit means the leggings fit like a second skin and thanks to the material they offer full freedom of movement in all directions.
- Material transports sweat away from the body and dries quickly.
- The elasticated net inserts in the gusset and inner seam ensure extra ventilation.
- They are ideal for running and training outdoors.
- Available in mens sizes S/M/L/XL/XXL.
- Pros: Mesh panels for added breathability, ergonomic design keeps seams off high abrasion areas & increases durability.
- Cons: Quite pricey.
- Consumer Score: Buyers love these thermal leggings with 78% of buyers giving them 5 stars out of 5.
- Retailers: Amazon and Under Armour.
Best Thermal Base Layer Leggings
Campri Ladies Stretchy Base Layer Thermal Leggings For Women
- These have been designed with an elasticated waistband, a heat retaining inner, plus breathability mesh to the outer.
- Subtle tonal Campri branding sits to one thigh.
- To wear under usual clothing for extra warmth in cold conditions.
- Pros: Cheap, adds extra warmth under usual clothing.
- Cons: Just base layer leggings, not to wear on their own.
- Consumer Score: Some buyers like these thermal leggings with 61% giving them 5 stars out of 5.
Mountain Warehouse Merino Womens Thermal Base Layer Leggings
- These merino wool women’s pants are a high performance base layer.
- Naturally antibacterial, breathable, the fabric is lightweight and will keep you comfortable in cool or warm conditions.
- They are ideal for skiing and hiking or everyday wear in winter.
- Available in sizes 6-20.
- Pros: Breathable, high wicking keeping you dry and comfortable, lightweight so great for travelling, antibacterial so stay fresher for longer, Merino wool is warm.
- Cons: Quite expensive.
- Consumer Score: Buyers love these thermal leggings with 100% giving them 5 stars out of 5.
- Retailers: Amazon and Mountain Warehouse.
What To Consider When Buying Thermal Leggings
Looking for moisture-wicking fabrics will mean you keep warm and dry even in the cold.
Synthetic materials are usually durable and elastic and great for activewear.
Merino wool is super warm but not as moisture wicking. It does have natural antibacterial properties.
Look for leggings that fit snugly but don’t constrict. You don’t want them falling down or feeling loose.
Also opt for seamless or flatlock seams that don’t chafe or irritate when exercising.
Thermal leggings come in lightweight to heavyweight materials. These provide warmth against cold and freezing temperatures.
Depending on what you are using your leggings for you may want to choose either, or.
FAQ’s Thermal Leggings
Moisture wicking to keep you dry, wind proof to protect you from the elements and fleece lined for warmth.
Yes, they are designed to keep you warm when exercising in cold temperatures.
Base layers are worn as a second skin underneath your usual clothing and will keep you warm. Thermal clothing comes in different fabrics and styles which can be worn on its own for different activities.
Cheap Thermal Leggings & Today’s Bestsellers
My recommended pick for women working out are the CRZ Yoga fleece lined leggings – they are high waisted with pockets and receive excellent reviews.
For cycling or running these thermal leggings from Baleaf are lightweight, breathable and receive excellent feedback on their quality and value.
For men the Under Armour HeatGear 2.0 are a great choice – they are very lightweight, feature compression fit, dry quickly, perfect for training, running and all sorts of activities.
The buyer feedback is overwhelmingly excellent.
I hope this list of the best thermal leggings was helpful.
If you think I left any out or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Last Updated: January 2022
- Added ‘How We Selected.’
- Added Top Picks.
- Updated Image.
- Added Pros/Cons on all products.
- Added Consumer Scores.
- Added FAQ’s.
- Added Alternative Retailers.
- Added Final Thought.
- Currently unavailable products moved to end of article.
Leggings Buying Guides
- Thermal Leggings
- Maternity Leggings
- Flared Leggings
- Fleece Lined Leggings
- Faux Leather Leggings
- Leather Leggings
- Seamless Leggings
- High Waisted Leggings
- Black Gym Leggings
- Honeycomb Leggings
- Ribbed Leggings
- Leggings With Pockets
- Babies Leggings
TSLA Women’s Thermal Wintergear Compression Baselayer Leggings (Currently unavailable)
- Thermal pants designed for warmth with fleece lining.
- Extreme Compression Fit.
- Moisture sensing, quick drying with two way air circulation.
- Deodorisation function which doesn’t leave unpleasant smell behind from sweat.
- Available in sizes XS/S/M/L/XL.
Nike Flash Running Tights (Currently unavailable)
- Slim fit men’s leggings which are perfect for running or training.
- Breathable fabric and elastic waistband with lanyard.
ZERDOCEAN Women’s Plus Size 100% Cotton Fleece Lined Thermal Leggings (Currently unavailable)
- Soft fleece lined 100% cotton leggings.
- Anti piling & non-transparent thick fabric.
- Ideal for cold weather.
- Available in sizes XXL/3X/4XPlus/4X.
Icebreaker Men’s 200 Oasis Leggings Base Layer (Currently unavailable)
- Merino jersey fabric leggings are the ideal foundation for everyday cold-weather layering.
- The fabric is not only insulating and highly breathable, but it resists odours during extended use.
- The brushed elastic waistband and flatlock seams throughout eliminate chafing when you’re on the move.
- Available in mens sizes S/M/L/XL/XXL.