This is a guide to visiting Alton Towers, including ticket price comparison, recommended hotels, package options (hotel & ticket), tips and much more.
In a rush? Here’s your quick links:
1. How to get the best deal on Alton Towers tickets
1. DIY Alton Towers Break
Or read our guide to the best hotels near Alton Towers.
2. Package Break (hotel & ticket)
Your best option for a package is to book direct at Alton Towers Holidays.
They often have offers on including 2 days at the park for the price of 1.
If you have time, do read the whole guide for top tips.
Alton Tower Ticket Deals
We’ve rounded up the best options for you to compare prices, availability and ticket types.
- It’s not always cheaper to go direct (for example, we found a saving on a family ticket of £8 with one ticket provider over going to Alton Towers directly.
- GetYourGuide are the only ticket provider offering free cancellation up to 24 hours before. This could be hugely beneficial when you think of weather or other unforeseen circumstances. And it was the same price as going direct.
- Offers for different ticket providers changes regularly.
- Some ticket providers offer extra value. For example, Picniq offer a £5 voucher to use on your next order.
- Availability on dates varies going direct and with third party ticket providers. We even found available dates with one ticket provider that was not available.
- Booking direct does usually provide more options for special events (Scarefest, for example)
Alton Towers Scarefest
5th – 6th, 12th – 13th, 18th October – 3rd November
This unmissable event takes place on selected dates in October/November when the Resort becomes home to Halloween. Open until late so you can enjoy your favourite rides in the dark!
Alton Towers Current Offer 1
***Santa’s Sleepover 2019***
Experience A Magical Escape With Santas Sleepover
Book your Santa Sleepover stay at one of Alton Towers onsite hotels and enjoy an entire package of festive activities. Included in your package you will have access to the Theme Park as it transforms into a winter wonderland and enjoy a selection of rides and attractions including Cbeebies Land, a unique visit to Santa, a day in our waterpark, our fun filled pantomime Robin Hood, a festive evening meal and breakfast buffet. There is so much included in this package to make your Christmas a magical experience with prices for the entire package from just £172.50 for a family of 3! This is excellent value for money!
- An overnight stay in one of their fabulously themed hotels of your choice
- A unique visit to Santa with a delightful gift for each child
- Tickets to the amazing Pantomime – Robin Hood
- Tickets to the Theme Park with a selection of family rides and attractions including CBeebies Land
- Tickets to the wacky Caribbean themed Waterpark
- 9 holes of crazy, zany Extraordinary Golf
- A fantastically festive evening meal
- A delicious buffet breakfast
- Free parking
- Fabulous evening entertainment including meet & greets, shows, a Christmas cinema and more!
Dates Break is available- correct at time of posting:
Splash Landings Hotel
Alton Towers Resort Hotel
Cbeebies Land Hotel
Alton Towers Hotel & Tickets Deal
Want to stay at a resort hotel?
Get a combined package through Alton Towers Holidays staying at the Alton Towers Hotel which is situated within the theme park, plus park tickets from just over £77pp.
Example package from Alton Towers :-
- Based on July 2019 Summer holiday dates
- 1 night stay
- Fabulous evening entertainment
- FREE car parking
- Leave your bags early at the Hotel
- A delicious breakfast
- Early access to selected rides and attractions
- Based on 2 adults and 2 children sharing
Total price from £310.05
£310.05 / 4 = From £77.51pp
There are other resort accommodation options including Splash Landings Hotel, CBeebies Land Hotel, Enchanted Village Lodges, Enchanted Village Treehouses and brand new for 2019, Alton Towers Stargazing Pods from £88pp.
Alton Towers Off-Site Hotel & Tickets Deal
Want a cheaper combined package?
Get a combined package through Alton Towers Holidays staying at an off-site hotel which is situated near the theme park, plus park tickets from £42.25pp.
Example package from Alton Towers Holidays:-
- Based on July 2019 Summer holiday dates
- 1 night stay
- Off-site hotel (24 miles from theme park)
- Based on 2 adults and 2 children sharing
- Total price from £169
- £169 / 4 = From £42.25pp
DIY Alton Towers Package
Want to save £s and book your hotel and park tickets separately?
Step 1. Hotels Near Alton Towers – Find a hotel to suit your budget and criteria.
Like saving money? We search up to 200 hotel sites to help you save up to 30% – show Hotels Near Alton Towers
Insider’s guide! – Get the low down on the best hotels near Alton Towers.
Then once you’ve found a hotel, don’t book it just yet, first check and see if Alton Towers has tickets available on the day you want to visit.
Step 2. Book Alton Towers tickets direct
About Alton Towers
With many of the UK’s big park attractions found in the south of England, Alton Towers is more-easily accessible to the rest of the island’s thrill-seekers. Perhaps that’s why it’s the UK’s most visited theme park.
It has a fair reputation for white-knuckle rides with some of the world’s best rollercoasters including Air, Nemesis and Oblivion. However, there is loads to do for kids of all ages, and with recent additions like CBeebies Land younger children will not miss out.
The huge resort has grown its accommodation options recently with the opening of the Enchanted Village with its lodges and treehouses.
Where is Alton Towers?
Alton Towers Resort is between the M1 and the M6, about 15 miles east of Stoke-on-Trent. There is no train station nearby, so visitors arriving by public transport come by bus either from Stoke or Uttoxeter, though services are limited.
What age range is best?
Of 40 different rides available at Alton Towers, seven require the rider to be at least 1.4 metres high and a further six require them to be over 1 metre. The park attracts a lot of families with over 8s but there is still plenty that under 8s will enjoy – though perhaps not as much as at Legoland.
Alton Towers Opening Times
The opening times vary depending on a lot of factors! Visit their site for more info on opening times.
You can view the operating calendars for Alton Towers Resort Theme Park, Waterpark, Extraordinary Golf and Spa.
The opening and closing hours vary depending on off peak and peak operation. We recommend guests to keep an eye on the website for updates.
Alton Tower Highlights
- Thrill rides including Rita, Nemesis, TH13TEEN, Oblivion
- Runaway Mine Train
- Ice Age 4D Experience
- Twirling Toadstool
- Mr. Bloom’s Allotment
- In The Night Garden Magical Boat Ride
- Postman Pat Parcel Post
- Tree Fu Tom Training Camp
- Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure
- Waterpark – have gallons of fun in the Caribbean Lagoon, play with hundreds of interactive water features and whizz down the Master Blaster water roller coaster. Supplements apply.
- Enchanted Forest Tree Top Quest
- Extraordinary Golf
- Alton Towers Spa
- CBeebies Land – meet some of CBeebies’ best-loved characters from shows including Something Special, In the Night Garden and Tree Fu Tom during your Alton Towers break. Under 4’s always Go FREE, allowing you to treat the little ones for less.
- Smiler – Prepare to comply as the line between illusion and reality is blurred on Alton Towers’ longest, fastest and most hypnotic ride to date.
- Sharkbait Reef by SEA LIFE – journey through a 10m Ocean Tank Tunnel and encounter over 300 species of fish in this pirate-themed aquarium.
Plan Ahead – Booking in advance will save you money, whether you are enjoying a day trip at the park or staying for a night or two at the resort!
Order tickets online, at least a week before the actual day. This will ensure that you get them at the cheapest possible price (excluding vouchers) Also, you will get access to early ride time with online tickets, and won’t have to queue for as long to purchase tickets. It just makes things a whole lot easier.
Familiarise Yourself – The park can be confusing for first time attendees, especially is you attend of a busy day. Checking out the map on the Alton Towers site can help you prepare for your visit.
Start from the back of the park (forbidden valley) and make your way towards the front (either katanga canyon or X-Sector)
Arrive early. It may seem too early to be there for 8:30 – 9:00, but if you get there too late then the cars will start to pile up, there will be no car parking room, the queue for the monorail will be insanely long, and you won’t get in to park at least an hour after even arriving.
Pack a Lunch – Like many theme parks, Alton Towers has pricey food and beverage prices, to save some money, you can pack a lunch or picnic, and bring plenty of refreshments!
Busy Times – Though most are likely to visit during school holidays and event days, knowing when the park is less busy always helps. August through November and weekdays in March through June are usually the least busy. Always check their events calendar to find out of any events.
Parking – The best time to purchase the car park token is at the start of the day since it is more likely to be busy round the machines at the end of the day.
Early Ride Time – Booking in advance, staying in the resort hotel or having the Annual Pass entitles you to the early ride time. From 9am – 10am, you will be able to access certain rides, but it is recommended you get there before the 9am to beat the lines for this!
Fastrack – At a price, you can get the fast track pass to get on the rides faster. Check their website for the option and most recent price updates.
Single Rider – A great free option. If you are enjoying the park on your own, the only one who wants to go on a particular ride, or wants to split up your group for a potential increase in enjoying more rides, then this option is for you. Though the park does not guarantee a shorter wait time, you’re much more likely to get on the ride sooner than a large group. Check the individual rides to see if they have this option.
Parents – You have the option to visit Guest Services when you arrive at the park to register and pick up the required card in order to use the free service that enables one parent to queue while another looks after the kids who aren’t going on the ride. Once you’ve enjoyed the ride, using the parent swap card you can then switch and the other adult can ride without waiting in the queue all over again.
If you don’t mind getting split up from friends/ family on a ride, use the single rider queue. It will mean queuing for A LOT less time, even if it means sitting in a seperate seat. It will be worth it, as at least you actually get to ride the ride.”
Wicker Man at Alton Towers
Galactica at Alton Towers
Alton Towers Queue Times
The wait for each ride is displayed on electronic boards around the park, as well as at ride queue line entrances.
Visit Alton Towers ride times page to see current wait time.
The busiest times are naturally UK school holidays – Easter, Summer and Half Terms.
Alton Towers Map
Alton Towers Videos
How to get the best prices on UK Attractions
Use our guides to save time and money:
- Ticket price comparison
- Recommended places to stay
- Top tips and key information
See all our guides to UK Attractions.