For this post, I have put together a collection of the best kids walking boots currently available. See my other top picks for kids outdoor clothing.
My Top Pick:
My top pick are the Mountain Warehouse Trail Kids Waterproof Boots as they are made of durable rip-proof material which is ideal for hiking. They have lots of cushioning for comfort and provide ankle support, plus they come in five colour options.
Now, more than ever, walking is a great way in which families can get out together, get fresh air and enjoy some exercise.
To fully enjoy a countryside walk, you don’t want to worry about your kids feet getting wet or muddy, so when a pair of trainers or wellies aren’t ideal, the perfect option is walking boots, which are made for supporting feet on uneven terrain, keeping feet dry in wet weather and warm in cold weather.
Read through my buying guide – I’ll show you what features to look out for and your key considerations when buying a pair of kids walking boots. You can also read my reviews of the best options out there for boys and girls.
As well as our reviews we’ve pulled together 1000s of customer reviews so you can make a more informed decision.
Alternatively, check out our comprehensive buyer’s guide on the best kids wellies.
So here is my list of the best kids walking boots.
Regatta Kid’s Holcombe Low Rise Hiking Boots
- These low rise unisex walking boots look more like a trainer but have the features of a walking boot.
- They are made with PU suede and breathable mesh and have a waterproof finish, so ideal for wet weather conditions.
- They are also windproof.
- With a high performance sole for comfort and durability.
- Ideal for kids who aren’t keen on wearing ankle boots or for walks in warmer summer months.
- Available in colours; Grey Briar Blaze Orange/ Blue Navy / Blue/ Grey Steel Tulip/ Black Pepper.
- Available in sizes UK Child 9- UK 3.
- Great feedback from buyers – 89% of 122 reviewers give these boots 4/5* ratings or more.
Trespass Kids Glebe High Rise Hiking Boots
- Unisex mid-cut hiking boots.
- Fully waterproof but still breathable.
- Solid boots which provide excellent ankle support including a cushioned collar and arch stabilising for extra stability and comfort.
- With all-round mud guard, so there will be no problems when it comes to squelching through muddy puddles.
- Available in sizes UK Child 10- UK 3
- Available in colours; Grey Gull/ Brown Earth.
- Excellent feedback from buyers – 89% of 118 reviewers give these boots 5/5* ratings.
Mountain Warehouse Trail Kids Waterproof Boots
- Durable and comfortable ripstop-suede unisex boots.
- Lighter than leather but still very hard wearing and long lasting.
- Made with water-resistant upper and waterproof membrane to keep feet dry.
- The high traction outsole provides great grip.
- Mesh lining helps keep feet fresh.
- Available in colours; Teal/ Black/ Berry/ Petrol Blue/ Teal 01.
- Available in sizes UK Child 1- UK 5.
- Excellent feedback from buyers – 89% of 531 reviewers give these boots 4/5* ratings or more.
Lowa Kids Kody GTX Mid Jr High Rise Hiking Boots
- Designed specifically for young feet, these are the bestselling brand of walking boots.
- The high rise boots provide extra ankle support which is ideal for uneven ground.
- The outsole provides excellent grip on pretty much every surface.
- Available in navy blue.
- Available in sizes UK Child 12.5- UK 2.5.
- Excellent feedback from buyers – 100% of 10 reviewers give these boots 5/5* ratings.
Mountain Warehouse Canyon Kids Waterproof Boots
- Traditional looking walking boot.
- Made of water-resistant upper and waterproof membrane, to keep feet nice and dry.
- Traction on the sole for grip and stability.
- With EVA cushioning which moulds to feet providing support & comfort.
- Available in sizes UK Child 1- UK 5.
- Colours available; Black or Brown.
- Excellent feedback from buyers – 85% of 161 reviewers give these shoes 4/5* ratings or more.
Sorel Girl’s Boots, Youth Out N About Conquest
- The ultimate kids boots to keep out cold and humidity without sacrificing style and comfort.
- They combine waterproof and water-resistant materials in the upper with a seam-sealed waterproof construction so walking in the rain is no problem.
- With padded insole and handmade vulcanised rubber sole.
- Synthetic fur trim for added warmth.
- Available in sizes UK Child 5- UK Child 6.
- Available colour; Camel Brown Quarry.
- Excellent feedback from buyers – 89% of 85 reviewers give these boots 4/5* ratings or more.
Keen Unisex Kid’s Magnet/Blue High Rise Hiking Boots
- Sporty high rise winter boots for children.
- Velcro fastener makes it easy to put on and take off.
- With lightweight charcoal bamboo insulation and an insulated felt footbed that’ll keep your kids feet warm up to -25F/-32C.
- In addition, the lacing with zip closure can be optimally adapted to the foot.
- They are windproof and waterproof and ideal for braving the elements.
- Available in sizes UK Child 7- UK 2.
- Colours available; Grey Levo Winter/ Black Olive Pureed Pumpkin.
- Excellent feedback from buyers – 80% of 46 reviewers give these boots 5/5* ratings.
Scarpa Terra Kids Boot
- More traditional looking walking boots for kids.
- Durable and the sole is substantial without being clumpy.
- 100% leather upper which will improve over time.
- More expensive than some of our other choices so a good option for older kids whose feet have stopped growing.
- Available in sizes EU 31-34.
- Available in brown.
- Good feedback from buyers – 83% of reviewers give these boots 5/5* ratings.
Today’s Top Deals & Bestsellers
Where To Buy Kids Walking Boots
What to consider when buying children’s walking boots
What about size and price?
Kids feet grow quickly so you may not want to invest too much money in a pair of boots that your child will only wear a handful of times. Get the right balance to suit your budget.
What will your children be wearing their boots for? Young ankles and arches need to be well protected, and there should be good shock absorption throughout the shoe, to cope with uneven terrain.
Outer Sole Grip
Hiking boots should have a good tread pattern to prevent slipping whilst walking across different terrain.
I think one of the most important factors is whether they are waterproof or not. Kids won’t be happy walking around with soggy feet, so opt for waterproof options for peace of mind.
You want boots which not only provide support, but you also want them to be comfortable. All of the brands we have chosen have excellent cushioning and padding for comfort. You also want the boots to be easy to put on and take off. Velcro fastenings are great for younger kids. Laces and mudguards are great for older kids.
I hope this list of the best kids walking boots was helpful.
If you think I left any out or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.