For this post, I have put together a collection of the best sand pits currently available. Planning on heading to the beach? Check out our comprehensive buyer’s guides on the best beach accessories.
Our Top Pick
My top pick is the Simplay3 sand and water bench which opens into a sand and water play box and then turns into a bench for two when it’s not in use. It can even be used as a train track in the colder months, so that the kids can get year round use out of it.
Show Today’s Top Deals
These are today’s top deals and bestsellers for sand pits.
Kids and toddlers will spend hours playing with sand, so a sand pit is a great way to keep them happily occupied outside in the garden, especially in the warm weather.
Sand pits come in all wonderful shapes and sizes including pirate ships, cars, wooden sandpits, sand pits with lids and more.
We’ve put together our top picks of the best sand pits for kids and toddlers.
All of our recommendations have 4-5 star ratings and excellent customer reviews.
So here is my list of the the best kids sand pits.
Best Sand Pit
KidKraft Pirate Sandboat
- Pirate ship shaped sand pit with shade canopy for kids who love a pirate theme.
- The sandbox offers hidden storage, seating, a spinning steering wheel and a high-hoisted pirate flag.
- Large enough for multiple children to play (measuring at 199.39 x 112.4 x 151.13cm).
- Includes a mesh cover that snaps over the sandbox when not in use. Includes a clear plastic liner that goes underneath the sand.
- It comes with detailed step-by-step assembly instructions.
- Made of weather-resistant wood.
- Customers recommend this sand pit – 85% of 365 buyers gave it 4/5 stars or more..
Little Tikes Turtle SandBox-Sandpit
- Ever-popular sandpit which is a much-loved Little Tikes classic.
- Can be used as a paddling pool, ball pit or sandpit.
- Moulded in detail on the bottom of the sandbox to encourage digging.
- With a removable lid that covers sand area when not in use.
- With two seats moulded into the outside of the sandbox.
- Dimensions: Weight (kg): 5.2; Height(cm): 30.5, Width(cm): 96.5, Depth(cm): 109.5; Holds 68 kg of sand
- Ideal garden toy for kids aged 12 months to 6 years +.
- This sand pit has excellent reviews – 91% of 18,187 buyers gave it 4/5 stars or more..
Plum® Sand Pit
- Traditional style square wooden sand pit.
- It’s made from premium FSC® certified timber with rounded corners for added safety.
- It is super easy to assemble and the sandbox is supplied with a protective cover and ground sheet.
- The internal textile ground cover prevents weeds from growing through and allows water to drain out.
- Customers rate this sand pit – 84% of 226 buyers gave it 4/5 stars or more..
Marko Sand Pit / Paddling Pool
- This two piece pit works as a sand pit, paddling pool, ball pit, and more.
- Both the base and the lid can be used to fill with sand/ water/ balls etc.
- Suitable for a minimum age 12 months.
- Customers love this sand pit – 75% of 571 buyers gave it 4/5 stars or more..
Big Game Hunters Car Wooden Sandpit
- Cool car sandpit which includes steering wheel and bench seat. Kids will love this!
- Car bonnet opens to reveal a large storage box to keeps toys and accessories tidy.
- There is a weatherproof cover for extra protection.
- Fully secured underlay prevents sand from escaping, allows drainage and prevents weeds growing through the sand.
- This sand pit has excellent reviews – 89% of 26 buyers gave it 4/5 stars or more..
Garden Games Large Hexagonal Wooden Sandpit (With Lid)
- If you are looking for something which looks ‘grown up’ this is a great option.
- Stylish wooden sandpit which has a sturdy all around bench for children to sit and play.
- The wooden lid included which is shaped to to fit the sandpit looks premium when the sandpit is not in use.
- Supplied with a green weather proof cover to keep the sand clean.
- Also supplied with a geo-textile base sheet to prevent weeds growing through the sand, while at the same time allowing drainage.
- Made from sustainably sourced wood that is treated with child and pet safe preservatives.
- Comes complete with fixings and straight forward assembly instructions.
- Customers really like this sand pit – 86% of 31 buyers gave it 4/5 stars or more..
Simplay3 Sand and Water Bench Toy Box
- Versatile sandpit which turns into a bench for two when it’s not in use.
- In the summer it can be used as a sand pit and water play area.
- In the winter it can be used as a play train track.
- Also provides convenient storage between playtimes.
- This sand pit has great feedback – 95% of 36 buyers gave it 4/5 stars or more..
Hanson Children’s Play Pit Sand
- 15kg bag quality sand suitable for indoor and outdoor sand pits.
- This sand is a ‘Bestseller’ on Amazon.
- Ideal for kids as it is non-staining, so no messy clothing.
- Customers recommend this sand pit – 88% of 1,049 buyers gave it 4/5 stars or more..
Today’s Top Deals & Bestsellers
How Can Sand And Water Play Benefit Children?
- It can help them to understand the natural world and learn how sand and water behave.
- It can help to develop their fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination. Digging and sifting sand and pouring water will encourage children to use their muscles.
- Sand and water play can stimulate kids imaginations and help them to create stories through role play. e.g. Pirates and Mermaids.
- It is also a good way to incorporate some learning through discovering which items float and sink.
- Sand and water play can be very calming, meaning that it is an excellent activity for children.
I hope this list of the best sand pits was helpful.
If you think I have left any out that should be included or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.