Our Top Picks
- Best Affordable: Zoggs Swimming Aid Float Arm Bands
- Best Fun Design: Zoggs Kids’ DC Super Heroes Swimming Armbands
- Best Float Wings Swim Aid: Splash About Float Wings Swim Aid
- Best For Correct Swimming Position: Dolphin Blue SwimFin
Learning to swim is an important life skill and there are many different types of swimming aids for kids available on the market.
We’ve handpicked the best arm bands (also known as water wings) and swimming aids which will help babies and kids build their confidence in the water.
How We Selected
We spoke to parents and searched the internet, reading buyers reviews and finding out what are parents favourites when it comes to arm bands and swimming aids for kids.
We have opted for products which have lots of excellent feedback and 4-5/5 star ratings.
Please remember that adult supervision in the water is essential at all times. See the ROSPA website for more on child holiday swimming pool safety.
Let’s get going!
Zoggs kids’ Water Wings Float Vest for Swimming
- A cleverly designed vest that provides buoyancy and encourages a natural swimming position.
- The bright colours and patterns will appeal to kids and the sleeves help to stop the jacket from riding up around the neck.
- Customers like it for high quality.
- Available in sizes 2-3yrs (15-18kg) and 4-5yrs (18-25kg).
- Pros: Fixed buoyancy in arms and body, allows freedom of movement in the arms, encourages natural swimming position, rear zip to prevent child removing.
- Cons: May feel a bit restrictive to wear.
- Consumer Score: The swimming aid has excellent reviews with 71% of buyers giving it 5 stars out of 5.
Splash About Float Wings Swim Aid
- Bright, fun swim aid which is self-balancing so your child will stay afloat in the water without tipping or sinking.
- The nylon lycra vest helps to protect areas prone to sun exposure and the security system will prevent removal by child whilst in the water.
- Customers like it for quality and ease of use, but some say it can be a bit bulky for packing.
- Available in 2-6 Years.
- Pros: Offers sun protection, allows kids to keep afloat without tipping or sinking.
- Cons: Bit bulky to wear.
- Consumer Score: The swimming aid has good reviews with 76% of buyers giving it 4-5 stars out of 5.
Zoggs Kids’ DC Super Heroes Inflatable Swimming Armbands
- These arm bands have dual air chambers and easy to inflate and deflate valves.
- You can reduce the level of buoyancy slightly and encourage kids to swim more on their own as they get more confident in the water.
- Kids will love the DC Super Heroes designs.
- Parents say they are great quality and easy to inflate.
- Designed for children aged 2-6 years (up to 25kg).
- Pros: Cheap, quick to inflate and deflate.
- Cons: Can be a bit uncomfortable to wear.
- Consumer Score: The swimming aid has great reviews with 76% of buyers giving it 5 stars out of 5.
Zoggs Kid’s Swimming Pool Float Armbands
- These best selling arm bands have two air chambers in each band with separate non return safety valves and flat under arm gusset for comfortable fit.
- They offer freedom of movement in the water for little ones learning to swim.
- Customers say they’re easy to inflate and deflate and are of good quality.
- Available in 4 sizes, ages 0-12.
- Pros: Cheap, flat underarm gusset for a comfortable wear.
- Cons: Some buyers report that they have punctured after a couple of uses.
- Consumer Score: The swimming aid has good reviews with 71% of buyers giving it 5 stars out of 5.
Dolphin Blue SwimFin
- This Swimfin is an excellent option as it leaves you child’s arms free to focus on their stroke.
- It fits to your little ones back using two straps and suspends them in the water.
- A great teaching aid and flotation device.
- It works across all 4 main swim strokes and boosts confidence.
- Suitable from 18 months.
- Pros: Leaves your kids arms free for swimming, good for learning to swim.
- Cons: Pricey.
- Consumer Score: The swimming aid has excellent reviews with 75% of buyers giving it 5 stars out of 5.
Nabaiji Armbands With Fabric Interior
- These arm bands have a soft fabric interior which is softer against little ones skin.
- The dual-chamber offers greater buoyancy.
- Affordable option.
- Suitable for kids weighing between 15-30kg.
- Pros: Soft fabric interior means they are more comfortable to wear, cheap, nice patterns.
- Cons: Quite bulky.
- Consumer score: Buyers give these arm bands an average of 4.7/5 star reviews.
- Retailers: Decathlon.
What To Consider When Buying Arm Bands
They can help to boost your child’s confidence in the water.
You can adjust the amount of air in the arm bands as your child becomes stronger and more confident in the water.
Kids can become dependant on armbands and may find it difficult to change to a different swimming aid.
Sometimes the way they are fitted on the arms, arm bands can be restrictive and may hinder arm movement in kids.
FAQ’s Kids Arm Bands
From about the age of one years old, you can put arm bands on your baby. It is important you are in the water with them at all times.
Arm bands are not a life-saving device and they will not prevent a child from accidentally going under water and potentially drowning. They are a buoyancy aid which will help to make you and your child feel more confident in the water.
You can take your baby swimming as early as you like. Even from a few weeks old you can enjoy time in the water with your little one.
Cheap Kids Arm Bands & Today’s Bestsellers
Our overall favourite is the Dolphin Blue SwimFin as it teaches kids the correct swimming position and allows them freedom of movement so they can focus on their stroke.
I hope this guide on kids arm bands was helpful.
If you think I left any out that should be included or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Last Updated: January 2022
- Added ‘How We Selected.’
- Updated image.
- Added link to ROSPA website.
- Added internal links.
- Added Consumer scores.
- Added Pros/Cons on all products.
- Added ‘Things To Consider’.
- Added FAQ’s.
- Added 2 new products.
- Added Alternative Retailers.
- Added Final Thought.
- Moved unavailable products to bottom of page.
Swimming Gear For Kids Buying Guide
HYGRAD® 6 Pcs Swim Discs EVA Foam Arm Bands (Currently unavailable)
No products found.
- These lightweight discs are a great way to keep children afloat whilst giving them the freedom of movement they need to develop their swimming skills.
- Soft fitting on the arms and brightly coloured so easy to keep an eye on them in the water.
- Well received by customers who like them for value for money and ease of use.
- For children up to 12 years of age.
Speedo Unisex-Youth Disney Printed Armbands Frozen 2 (Currently unavailable)
No products found.
- These Frozen 2 armbands will be popular with Ana and Elsa fans.
- They are easy to inflate and have a comfortable fit.
- Available in 2 – 6 years, up to 25kg max.