For this post, I have put together a collection of the best door canopies currently available. See all my top picks for the best garden furniture.
Our Top Picks
- Best Overall: Greenhurst Black Easy Fit Tinted Door Canopy
- Best For Front Door: Palram Aquila Door Canopy
- Best Wooden: Richard Burbidge Apex Porch Canopy
- Best For Back Door: Vounot Rain Shelter for Back Door
- Best Glass Canopy: Dio-Met Stainless Steel + Real Glass Canopy Porch
- Best Modern Canopy: Palram Nancy Door Canopy
- Best Black Canopy: VidaXL Black Door Canopy
- Best White Canopy: Yaheetech White Door Canopy
A door canopy will provide shelter from wet weather and UV rays and provide a roof for your front or back door.
How We Selected
We’ve scoured the market to find the best door canopies, which will save you time and effort in your search.
From wooden to glass and wrought iron to contemporary, we’ve selected our favourite door canopies, all of which have excellent customer feedback and 4-5/5 star ratings.
So here is my list of the the best door canopies.
Greenhurst Black Tinted Door Canopy
- A tinted, heat-reflecting canopy, which provides excellent protection from the sun and rain.
- Lightweight and weather resistant it’s supplied with wall fixings and easy to install.
- 1 x Polycarbonate Sheet, 2 x Brackets, 2 x Fixings bars and Rubbers; 1 x Set of Fixings; 1 x Instructions.
- Dimensions: 100 x 60 x 23 centimetres
- Pros: Protects from rain and sun, lightweight and affordable.
- Cons: Side brackets are made of plastic, so not as durable as some of our other recommendations.
- Consumer score: Greenhurst Black Easy Fit 1m Tinted Door Canopy, 100x60x23 cm. From 217 ratings 85% of buyers gave this 4-5 stars.
Palram Aquila Door Canopy
- This stylish door canopy blocks 100% of harmful UV rays.
- The front anodized gutter and back hidden gasket directs rainwater sideways so theres no dripping on visitors.
- Available in 3 sizes.
- Made of polycarbonate, galvanized steel and anodized aluminium.
- Pros: Protects from rain and sun, durable, stylish.
- Cons: Expensive.
- Consumer score: Very good reviews. From 117 ratings 76% of buyers gave this 5/5 stars.
Richard Burbidge Apex Porch Canopy
- A timber door canopy which has been pre-drilled for easy installation.
- Each kit has been fully tested and comes with step-by-step fitting instructions.
- Can be stained or painted and tiled to how you like.
- Pros: Looks nice, you can paint or tile to your desired finish.
- Cons: If you want shelter from the elements it needs to be tiled.
- Consumer score: Excellent reviews. From 31 ratings 85% of buyers gave this 5/5 stars.
Vounot Rain Shelter for Back Door
- This door canopy is weatherproof, rain, snow and UV resistant.
- Made of polycarbonate so it’s light and stable and doesn’t make too much noise when there’s rain or hail.
- Easy to install.
- Dimensions: 200 x 80 x 23 centimetres
- Pros: You can join multiple canopies together if you want a longer canopy.
- Cons: Framing is plastic.
- Consumer score: Fabulous reviews. From 438 ratings 90% of buyers gave this 4-5 stars.
Dio-Met Stainless Steel + Real Glass Canopy Porch
- A modern glass canopy with polished edges for a contemporary look.
- Made of toughened safety glass with steel fixtures.
- 1440mm Wide
- Pros: Super stylish glass, looks contemporary.
- Cons: Pricey.
- Consumer score: Good reviews so far. From 4 ratings 100% of buyers gave this 5/5 stars.
Palram Nancy Door Canopy
- For a contemporary look this anti-rust aluminium door canopy is made to withstand harsh weather conditions.
- With laser-cut, powder-coated and galvanized steel support arms.
- Protect from the elements.
- Available in 2 sizes – 1500 and 2050mm.
- Pros: Modern and looks stylish.
- Cons: Expensive.
- Consumer score: Good reviews. From 30 ratings 74% of buyers gave this 4-5 stars.
VidaXL Black Door Canopy
- This black canopy protects from rain without blocking the light.
- Although it’s made with polycarbonate sheets and plastic brackets it is stable but could not withstand heavy snowfall.
- Dimensions: 120 x 100 cm (L x W).
- Pros: Protects from rain.
- Cons: Can’t withstand heavy snowfall.
- Consumer score: Good reviews. From 10 ratings 75% of buyers gave this 4-5 stars.
Yaheetech White Door Canopy
- White door canopy which is easy to install.
- Will keep the rain, snow and hail off your doorstep.
- PVC, plastic and aluminium this door canopy is sturdy and durable.
- Dimensions: 120 x 76 x 23 centimetres.
- Pros: Affordable, easy to install.
- Cons: Plastic trim.
- Consumer score: Excellent reviews. From 656 ratings 72% of buyers gave this 5/5 stars.
Things To Consider – Buying A Door Canopy
How Easy Is It To Install?
Most door canopies come with an installation kit which includes the tools and fittings you will need to fix the canopy to your wall.
Check before you buy to make sure everything you will need is included.
How Durable Is It?
You need to make sure your door canopy is fitted well and is strong enough to withstand the elements. You wouldn’t want it to fall down or break, so opt for strong frames and high quality material.
What Is The Design Like?
Does the design fit with your house style. While a door canopy may be functional it will also frame your front door and it can improve the look of your home.
Whether you are looking for something contemporary or something more traditional, there are plenty of choices.
How Much Does It Cost?
You don’t have to spend a lot of money on a door canopy. Prices start from around the £50 mark. If you do plan on spending a bit more than this you will find some high quality, contemporary canopies for £200-£300.
FAQ’s Door Canopies
A front or back door canopy will provide shelter and protection from the rain and sun. It is usually fitted directly above your front door to give some protection from the elements and also to add kerb appeal.
A door canopy is a great alternative to a porch and is much more cost effective. It will add a finishing touch to the front or back of your home and also provide adequate shelter to anyone standing at your front door.
No, you won’t need permission to add a door canopy above your door.
Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ask someone else to help.
You will need a drill, spanner and hammer and will probably need to assemble the door canopy before you fix it to the wall.
You will need to drill holes into your wall in the correct place you want your canopy to go.
Whilst someone is holding the canopy in place you can push the bolts into the wall and secure.
Once you have installed the door canopy check that it fits flush against the wall and then add seal or sealant to prevent any leaks when it rains.
Cheap Door Canopies & Today’s Bestsellers
My favourite door canopy is the Greenhurst Black Easy Fit Tinted Door Canopy as it provides shelter from the rain and the tinted grey heat reflecting UV-stabilised cover protects from the sun.
I hope this list of the best door canopies was helpful.
If you think I left any out that should be included or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Last Updated: January 2022
- Added ‘How We Selected.’
- Updated image.
- Added internal links.
- Added Pros/Cons on all products.
- Added ‘Things To Consider’.
- Added Alternative Retailers.
- Added Final Thought.
Garden Furniture Guides
Browse our top picks and in-depth buying guides for your next garden furniture piece.
Black Country Metal Works Honeysuckle Cottage Over Door Canopy (Currently unavailable)
- A traditional door canopy, handmade in iron and finished in satin black.
- The canopy is recessed so that it can be glazed and sealed.
- There are no clips to hold the glass in place with this canopy so you would have to purchase separately.
- Height: 1150mm (45.25″), Width: 1470mm (57.875″), Projection: 760mm (30″).
Bigzzia Door Canopy (Currently unavailable)
- This polycarbonate panel with curved bracket and aluminium bar makes a stable, corrosion resistant door canopy.
- Will protect from snow and hail and the anti-UV panel will protect against harmful UV rays.
- Great value for money.
- Dimensions: 120 x 80 x 23cm
- Great reviews. From 38 ratings 83% of buyers gave this 4-5 stars.