For this post, I have put together a collection of the best camping lanterns currently available. Looking for more camping top picks? See my guide to recommended camping equipment.
Our Top Picks
- Best Backpacking: Vont Divine Camping Lantern
- Best Value: HeroBeam 2x LED Lantern
- Best Traditional: Primus Micron Lantern
- Best Value With Powerbank: Lanktoo 2-in-1 Waterproof LED Camping Lantern
- Best Wind Up: Goal Zero Lighthouse 400 Camping Lantern
- Best Value Bright LED: LE Camping Lantern
- Best With Detachable Torches: LE LED Camping Lantern
- Best All Round With Solar Panel: Vango Lunar 250 Eco Lantern
- Best Luxury System: BioLite SolarHome 620 Portable
Show Today’s Top Deals
These are today’s top deals and bestsellers for camping lantern.
Not too long ago your only choice for a camping lantern was a pressurised paraffin lamp.
You now have numerous options to select something really specific to your needs and budget. With 100s to choose from we’ve saved you time to pick out the best.
A camping lantern is a must as it can make all the difference to the ambience at a campsite.
They’ll help illuminate large tents, outdoor dining areas and since they are hands-free you can get on with any tasks at hand.
- Looking to make your tent cosier? Explore my guide to the best tent carpet.
- Dine in style with the best camping tables and camping chairs.
So here is my list of the the best camping lanterns.
Vont Divine Camping Lantern
- Excellent collapsible and compact design.
- Perfect for backpacking and lightweight camping as it folds down.
- To open you simply pull the lid upwards to reveal the bulb section and it automatically powers on.
- Extremely durable – made from aircraft grade materials – perfect for being bumped around backpacking or toddlers knocking it over.
- Battery powered and should last 90 hours.
- Campers love this lantern. A whopping 81% from 33,940 reviews gave this the maximum 5 stars.
HeroBeam 2x LED Lantern
- Budget friendly great all round camping lantern.
- To turn it on simply lift the top and push it down to turn it off.
- Takes 3 AAA batteries and should last 90 hours.
- Very popular, bestselling LED lantern. Superbly reviewed with 82% of campers giving this 5 stars out of 5.
- Common feedback includes great value for money, lightweight, very bright.
Primus Micron Lantern
- If you like your lanterns traditional this is a great option.
- Primus are a well respected brand that specialises in camping stoves. They’ve used their experience to create a gas lantern that is extremely economical in its fuel use. Doesn’t come with a gas canister.
- It gives out an excellent 235 lumens.
- It’s compact and super silent.
- Very simple lighting method via its ‘EasyTrigger’ piezo ignition system.
- There’s an integrated steel cable to hang it but take care where!
- Fantastic reviews. 81% of 223 campers gave this 5 out of 5 stars.
- Common feedback: very effective small gas lantern.
Looking to keep the tent nice and toasty? See my guide to the best tent heater.
Lanktoo 2-in-1 Waterproof LED Camping Lantern
- Excellent value led camping lantern with a ton of features.
- Doubles up as a useful power bank, handy for charging phones and tablets at campsites.
- Remote control works from up to 10 metres.
- 5 Lighting modes for you to choose: cool white, warm white, natural white, red strobe, red SOS.
- Features a magnet and hook for keeping in place.
- Lightweight and highly portable – measures 3.14*2.36 inches and weights 0.4lb/180g.
- Light up to 8-70 hours depending on the mode/brightness you set.
- Available in three colours: black/green, black/orange and white.
- Really good reviews. 85% of 815 reviewers gave this camping lantern 5 stars out of 5.
- Common feedback includes: Very bright, great dimming settings, sturdy, well made.
Goal Zero Lighthouse 400 Camping Lantern
- Standout feature is the hand crank so no matter where you are you will be able to get some light.
- There is a rechargeable battery that you can power from any USB port or from a Goal Zero Nomad Solar Panel.
- Collapsible legs provide a stand for taller light and fold in for convenient storage.
- Stellar reviews. 83% of 526 campers gave this 5 out of 5.
LE Camping Lantern
- Great value choice if you are looking for a super bright lamp. This goes up to 1,000 lumens.
- Long battery life – these camping lights are powered by 3pcs D alkaline batteries, It can last 12 hours even under 1000 lumen brightness setting.
- Hanging light – It can be hung up from either end, With or without lampshade.
- Water resistant – good for outdoor activities in light rain or snowy day.
- Great reviews. This camping light scores an average of 4.7 from over 20,000 reviews!
LE LED Camping Lantern with 2 Detachable Torches
- Excellent value for money lantern that includes two detachable torches.
- The torch is very handy for the kids on late night toilet trips.
- Two ways to power – main lantern can be charged via USB cable, you can charge it up in the car on the way to the campsite by using LE car charger (included).
- Or it can be powered by 3pcs D batteries (not included).
- Water Resistant – Work well in light rains or snowy days
- . 79% of 5,092 campers gave this 5 stars.
Vango Camping Lantern Lunar 250 Eco Recharge USB
- Good all round camping lantern that you can charge via solar panel or USB.
- Nice features including stable design, hanging hook, folding handle.
- You can also this as a phone charger.
- Only weighs 0.54kg.
- Solid reviews. 77% of 34 campers gave this 4 stars or above.
BioLite SolarHome 620 Portable
- Are you camping off the grid but want the best lantern setup?
- This lantern system includes a 6 watt solar array that powers a central console that then feeds up to three hanging lights.
- Each light has its own switch.
- The console has its own light along with a control screen, FM radio and MP3 player.
- You can even charge up to two other USB devices such as phones or tablets.
- It’s a great solution also for a summerhouse or shed.
- Very good reviews. 84% of buyers gave this 4 stars or more.
Today’s Top Deals & Bestsellers
What To Consider When Buying a Camping Lantern
You can choose lanterns that can use rechargeable batteries.
There are also lanterns that you can power using solar or wind up.
For a long run time, choose an LED lantern light otherwise you’ll chew threw batteries.
If you opt for rechargeable batteries these days they have fantastic run times because of improved lithium batteries.
This depends if you’re lightweight and / or wild camping. There are plenty of ultra light models on the market, with a premium price.
If you’re not bothered with weight and camping by car then you can get a chunky lantern (or two as many come in sets). These will be most rugged and give you the most brightness (more lumens the better here).
This is measured in lumens.
A domestic torch has around 50 lumens. Depending on your needs you can choose a camping lantern with 100 to 1,000 lumens.
Generally, the more lumens the larger the camping light.
- Water resistance
- Integrated USB power port for charging devices like phones.
- Collapsible designs to make them more portable.
- Detachable torches
I hope this list of the best camping lanterns was helpful.
If you think I left any out that should be included or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Camping Buyer’s Guides
Help ease your shopping with our in-depth buying guides for your next camping purchase.
Your Camping Checklist
There’s something you always forget when packing for a camping trip. Use our handy camping checklist to make sure you don’t forget anything important.
Get more out of your next adventure in the great outdoors with these 24 brilliant camping hacks.